Who We Are
Glory to God whose power, working in us, can do infinitely more than we can ask or imagine; glory to God from generation to generation in the Church, and in Christ Jesus for ever and ever. Amen. Ephesians 3: 20-21
Catoctin Episcopal Parish – Harriet Chapel is located in the Catoctin Furnace, three miles south of Thurmont. The furnace, originally known as Johnson Furnace, began iron-making operations in 1776. As the furnace operations grew so did the population around it, and in 1827 it was decided a church should be constructed. The construction was completed in 1828, and services were led by a Moravian Minister from Graceham.
On October 25, 1833, Harriet Chapel was consecrated by the Episcopal Bishop of Maryland and became a mission church of All Saints’ Episcopal Church located in Frederick, MD. Harriet Chapel remained a mission church until 1921, when Harriet Chapel became its own parish – Catoctin Episcopal Parish.
- Harriet Chapel is named after Harriet McPherson Brien, who was the wife of the owner of the furnace when the church was constructed. Harriet died in April 1827, prior to the construction being completed.
- Several presidents have worshiped a Harriet Chapel including Lyndon B. Johnson, Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter.
- Catoctin Episcopal Parish – Harriet Chapel is the only Episcopal Church located in Northern Frederick County.
- We are a member of the Episcopal Diocese of Maryland. Visit them at www.ang-md.org.